AEGEE Election Observation is looking for three young people to lead our upcoming Election Observation Mission (EOM) to the Parliamentary Elections in Slovakia scheduled for 29 February 2020.
The EOM will be deployed from 25 February to 2 March 2020 (six nights), with Election Day falling on Saturday, 29 February. The Mission Coordinators (MCs) are required to arrive in Bratislava at least one day in advance (i.e. 24 February) for preparatory activities.
The EOM will specifically assess the conditions under which young people participate in the electoral process. The principal focus of the Mission will lie in its interaction with domestic stakeholders, including the electoral authorities as well as political party representatives, (young) candidates, government institutions responsible for youth matters, civil society organisations and youth networks. The EOM will present findings on the participation of young people not only as voters, but also as candidates, activists, and elections staff. On Election Day, the Mission will deploy its observers across the country to witness opening, voting and counting procedures modeled largely on established OSCE/ODIHR and EU methodology.
Mission Coordinators are appointed for a period of approximately three months, with the first four to six weeks serving to prepare the Mission and complete preliminary research, the subsequent week to conduct the deployment of the Mission, and the third month to finalise and disseminate the Mission’s final report. Mission Coordinators are expected to be available for all three months.
Three different positions are open:
Coordinator for General Management and Logistics (MC1),
Coordinator for Partnerships, Outreach and Visibility (MC2) and
Coordinator for research and reporting (MC3).
– MC1: Responsible for operational mission management, regular communication with observers, drafting E-day deployment plan, arranging logistics (accommodation, transportation, meeting space).
– MC2: Responsible for outreach and Mission visibility, mapping and arranging meetings with electoral stakeholders (party candidates, election administration, youth organisations, election observation experts), disseminating mission outputs (press release, final report, etc.) to interlocutors and other stakeholders.
– MC3: Responsible for coordinating research tasks by observers, drafting the final report and press releases, adapting election observation forms to local electoral procedures
- experience in project management and international teamwork;
- familiarity with the context of the elections; prior election observation experience is an asset;
- sufficient time in the two months preceding the Mission (1-2 hours a day, likely more in busy weeks), as well as one month after;
- swiftness and reliability in day-to-day online communication;
- great organisational skills, attention to details, dedication, independence and ability to stick to deadlines.
- be at least 18 and not more than 35 years old;
- hold citizenship of OR reside in a Council of Europe member state, Belarus or Vatican
- not hold citizenship of Slovakia;
- have professional fluency in English;
- knowledge of Slovak or closely related languages is an asset, but not required;
- be available to attend the entire Mission in person;
- be available to work on the final report after the end of the Mission.
In general, our Missions are organised on a 100% voluntary basis and do not involve any remuneration or reimbursement of travel and accommodation expenses. This applies to Mission Coordinators as well as members of the AEGEE Election Observation team.
Please apply here no later than on 1st December 2019 at 23:59 CET. We encourage you to apply earlier as applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis.
We will aim to contact you by the 5th of December 2019 if you have been invited for an interview.
In case of questions, please contact Andreas Martin Speiser, Mission Director, at firstname.lastname@example.org or Ségolène Tavel, AEGEE Election Observation Mission Director, at email@example.com
We look forward to your application!