Election Observation Mission to Catalonia, 24-28 September
After the success of our previous Election Observation Missions (EOMs) to Ukraine, Finland, the UK, Scotland, Bosnia and Herzegovina, Moldova, and Estonia, the Election Observation Project of AEGEE-Europe invites you to become an observer for the parliamentary elections in Catalonia on September 27!
What will we do?
As independent short-term observers, we inspect the electoral process on election day in order to publish a report about our observations. Election observation reports contribute to the transparency of elections and are a valuable instrument for democratic control.
As an independent observer, you will travel to Catalonia for a few days (latest arrival on the 24th September evening, and earliest departure on the 28th of September afternoon), and:
- receive a basic training in the principles and methods of international election observation;
- complete a limited research task about a topic of your choice related to Catalonia, its political and electoral system, or other relevant aspects;
- attend interesting preparation meetings with local officials, experts, and activists;
- in particular, meet young politicians and representatives of youth movements and document their perspective on the upcoming elections;
- visit a number of polling stations on election day to observe the opening, voting, closing, vote counting, and ballot storage;
- write a report about your observations together with other observers.
Last but not least, have the chance to visit Catalonia, meet many local people you would otherwise never meet, learn a lot about how democracy is organised, and spend an exciting time with an international group of young observers!
What are the conditions?
In order to be an international observer, you should fulfil the following criteria:
- be at least 18 years old;
- have a solid command of English;
- have time in the August from September to participate in an online training course about the election observation;
- be fully available in Catalonia between the 24th and the 28th of September;
- be able to cover your own costs*.
*In its current stage, the Election Observation Project unfortunately needs to rely on observers covering their own expenses related to travel, visa, and food during the EOM. However, it is our declared aim to provide free lodging for all observers travelling to Catalonia.
How can you apply?
If you are interested, we invite you to fill in this application form before 14th of August.
For any questions, please approach write to firstname.lastname@example.org.
On behalf of the EOP, we are looking forward to receiving your applications!